Sunday, May 15, 2011

We are pilgrims



Jesus Taking Leave of His Apostles


Today's Epistle in the Extraordinary Form reminds us that we are pilgrims and strangers on this earth.

Jesus, in His Last Discourse to His disciples, reminds them that He will leave them and yet return.

During this Easter season, we have joy and the sorrow of being "in this vale of tears" awaiting our true home, the Kingdom of Heaven.

Is not this the real yearning of the human heart?

We are pilgrims and strangers as those who follow Christ; so much sorrow, so much pain, so many separations...and yet...

His Risen Life...His Easter Gift...is the beginning of our life with Him in Heaven.

For wherever He is, Heaven is.

I read something to the effect that if the "signs and outer appearances" of the Sacred Host were made apparent to us we would see Heaven.

May we receive, in a deep way, the Easter Gift of our Lord's Presence, Heaven Itself,
to give us courage in the midst of all the sin, darkness, evil and suffering this present life offer us.

"I leave and yet I remain."

Yes.

Come, Lord Jesus!

Image source: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhuYRWnC238cPbi4HGs7IAE1AqX6bE19vpqhojn91p1ISy4Mczk46A-wWsyGPfvKIVIl6qfzHvxzSYTrZjFOsmOaObPWaW_TsRrH3_vEGwuE5jAAYrK598ELEeScSw1_bn6Pum3UyaB0fVY/s1600-h/Fatimskaia.jpg

3 comments:

Adoro said...

One of the antiphons I love so much from the LOH is this one:

"When will I come to the end of my pilgrimage and see the face of my God?"

And, a few years ago a meme going around the internet asked people to write their epitaph using a limited number of words. Mine was:

"A pilgrim no longer, I'm Home."

And you know...that's it in a nutshell, isn't it? Love desires Union.

Thanks for this post, exactly what I needed to read today.

Fr. John Mary, ISJ said...

Thank YOU, Adoro.

We miss you and look forward to your return to us! Love.

Nan said...

np, please contact me via e-mail as I have questions about the Canon Law Conference.