Friday, September 18, 2009

On Retreat

I haven't posted since Monday because our community is on retreat this week.
We're reading the Rule of Saint Benedict and meeting before Evening Prayer to discuss it. So, you could say that Saint Benedict is a kind of "retreat master".

What is interesting, for me, is that we have different editions of the Rule with different commentaries, and so there is an opportunity to see things from different points of reference (some old, one new). There are only three of us, so it doesn't get too confusing!

I had a seminar class with a Benedictine Abbot on the Rule of Saint Benedict in the 1980's when I was a graduate student, so it is a real treat to return to the beautiful teachings and the venerable texts of the monastic life in the Christian West and have time to reflect upon them in greater depth.

We ask for your prayers, assuring you of our remembrances.

I'll be back in the next few days.

1 comment:

Mary Ellen said...

And I'll be back when you return. Just added you to my blogroll. ;-)

Prayers being sent your way.