Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pilgrimage


When I was in English literature class in high school, we had to memorize this introduction of Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales":
WHEN APRIL with his showers sweet with fruit
The drought of March has pierced unto the root
And bathed each vein with liquor that has power
To generate therein and sire the flower;
When Zephyr also has, with his sweet breath,(5)
Quickened again, in every holt and heath,
The tender shoots and buds, and the young sun
Into the Ram one half his course has run,
And many little birds make melody
That sleep through all the night with open eye(10)
(So Nature pricks them on to ramp and rage)—
Then do folk long to go on pilgrimage,
And palmers to go seeking out strange strands,
To distant shrines well known in sundry lands.
And specially from every shire’s end(15)
Of England they to Canterbury wend,
The holy blessed martyr there to seek
Who helped them when they lay so ill and weak.
Befell that, in that season, on a day
In Southwark, at the Tabard, as I lay(20)
Ready to start upon my pilgrimage
To Canterbury, full of devout courage,...


Now, although I would LOVE to make a pilgrimage to Canterbury (my roots being English with an Irish flavor...mostly my tendency to weep and my temper!) I be going to Rome next Monday for the elevation of Cardinal-elect Raymond L. Burke to the College of Cardinals.

He is my spiritual father; he has been the supporter and guardian and mentor for our Association of the Faithful, the Institute of Saint Joseph. And he ordained me as a priest of Jesus Christ in 2003...just in time, before he was called to be Archbishop of St. Louis.

I take all of you with me to Rome; if you have particular intentions you would like remembered in my Masses and prayers at the holy shrines there, please let me know.
If you want to have a more private communication, my email is jmgilbert85@gmail.com.
I promise to remember you all and every intention you might want me to include.
This is not only a joyous occasion, but a historical one, as well.
I'm just in absolute awe.

1 comment:

Terry Nelson said...

So that is where you are! Pray for me!